Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Journal 6: How Much Energy Do I Use?




                             This is a journal of how many times I use anything that requires electricity in a 24 hour period. I will also list all of the consumer goods that I have used throughout the day, that were covered in a packaging. When I woke up at 9 A.M. I used a toaster, coffee machine, light switch, and radio. For breakfast, I ate an egg bagel with philadelphia cream cheese. I used a toaster oven for the bagel, and to make my coffee I used a coffee pot. I put fat free milk and two sugar packets into my coffee. I drank tap water for the entire day. Before leaving for class I made sure to shut off all of my bedroom lights. I was in class from 10:45 A.M. to 4:45 P.M.. I only had a twenty minute break during this long day. During the break I stopped in at Subway to get a six inch turkey sub and a brisk iced tea. After classes, I walked home and started on my homework it was still light outside so I opened up the blinds instead of turning on the lights. I used my computer to finish the sixty math problems. After I finished my math homework, I took a break to cook dinner. I put a lean cuisine into the microwave and sat down to watch a little television. I stayed out in the living room to read up on some of my books for classes. When my roommate came home we watched Glee. After Glee, I was very tired so I took my book to bed, and I ended up falling asleep reading. During the middle of the night I woke up to turn off my lights and went back to sleep.


 The packaged items that I used throughout the day were bagels, cream cheese, coffee, milk, sugar, subway sandwich, brisk sweet tea, and a lean cuisine. After going back and looking at all of the items that I used I realized that all of the products try to grab the buyers attention. For example, the milk had fat free right on the front of the carton, the sugar packet was pink, and the coffee can was red and had a scenery of the mountains and the sun shining. The bagels have a saying on it that states that these bagels last longer than any other. The garden vegetable cream cheese has a light label on it and vegetables on it. Subway wraps sandwiches in paper and plastic bags and there logo is eat fresh. The brisk iced tea is flashy and blue with yellow writing and definitely appeals to the buyers eye. The lean cuisines have picture of the meals on the box, and they also  have the nutrition value right on the front of the box. For those people who are trying to watch their weight it definitely gets peoples attention, because it is an easy and quick way to eat a healthier meal. I noticed that all of the packaging was geared toward catching the buyers eye and appetite. Living in a consumer society, I can definitely tell that producers of products base the way a product is distributed in the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment